25 October 2010

Ortho Fix*

Halfway through my orthopedics rotation, and the one thing I've learned so far is that I know essentially nothing about anatomy. I don't think I've ever been this lame in any rotation, ever. Here they don't care about whether you know the whole caboodle of drugs for MI or what to do with a child who's in active seizure (Phenobarbital IV, never diazepam! - Dr. Lukban) or how to compute for the target mean arterial pressure (MAP) in a patient with pre-eclampsia (gestational hypertension)! They just bark: what is this muscle! What happens when this nerve is cut! Why are these bones configured like this! Geez. Most days all I manage to say is "UUULP!"

So after an overly embarassing OR assist with Sir M and Sir K after which I received more homework than what I've had for an entire six months of internship, I decided to study anatomy. It makes my head hurt. Haaay boards how will I ever study for you!

But apart from feeling like a dunce all the time in the operating room, I think I like Ortho. It's way cool, big boys and their badass toys! Plus Sir K made it sound mighty appetizing when he started lamenting about having to study physics and biomechanics. I AM SUCH A DORK. Hahaha.

*Pun intended!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:19 PM

    kitam phenobarb mali talaga yung diaz answer don!!! anyhoo, ill give you my high yield anatomy it's all you need. i'll be there tomorrow. text me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes phenobarb I am sure hinahunting ni maam ang mga pedia residents na nagbibigay ng diaz at nilelecturan sa ER. :))

    Yay, yay. Borrow! =) Thankzzz.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...